Sunday, July 20, 2008

Twilight Criterium Bike Race





Saturday, Brett volunteered to cover the Twilight Criterium bike race that is held in downtown Boise. Since I didn't have anything on my agenda, I figured I'd tag along. We got there at 3pm and it did not wrap up until around 10:15pm. What a long day! We were lucky enough to have decent weather (mid 90s) and a team of racers let us bum some of their shade all day! So, we sat in our chairs, ice chest within arm's reach, all day on corner #2 watching the racers whiz by. There were five races in total. The last race was 90 minutes. Get this - they averaged 37 mph! That's pretty typical of how we ride our bikes, too. We didn't see any wrecks, which I suppose is a good thing, but I was secretly hoping for some. Have you ever seen the part in Big Daddy where Adam Sandler and the little boy try to throw sticks in the path of bikers and rollerbladers to make them fall? I didn't quite go to that extreme, but I did throw in a quiet, "Wreck!" now and then. **You'll notice the weird picture of the girl on the bike. If you look closely, and zoom in, you'll see that she is actually wearing a red tube top, white skirt, and (no joke) white high heels. Call me crazy, but that's not your typical bike riding apparel...even in Boise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my thoughts exactly on the wrecking....I would love to see a live "big daddy" momement!
-Holly