Thursday, May 21, 2009

Why would you say that?

Today, a parent of one of my students, said to me, "You don't look very good. What's wrong?" In my head, there were a lot of mean things being said to her in response, including that I was going to give her kid and F. Instead, I gave a fake smile and tried to laugh it off. Are you serious? Who says those things?

Thanks to the internet, here's a list of other things you should never say to a pregnant woman:

1) Any and all comments about how big she is. For example,"Oh my God, are you having twins?" "You're only seven months along? Geez!" "Wow, that baby's going to pop out at any minute!" "You know, my sister only gained 20 pounds when she was pregnant." "Oooo, your booty's getting big!"
2) "Can I touch your belly?"
3) "Oh my God, you're having another baby?"
4) Any and all unsolicited advice about baby names.
5) "Are you going to get him circumcised?"
6) "You're not going to eat that, are you?"
7) "Did you use fertility drugs?"
8) "Was this an oops?"
9) "So do you have hemorrhoids? Mine were just awful."
10) "So this is your first? Oh my God, with my first, I had horrible back labor for THIRTY hours, and then I needed a C-section and was in pain for WEEKS and the baby didn't sleep through the night until she was two years old..."

2 comments:

Whitney said...

That's hilarious, and SOOO TRUE! Some people have no class - and don't know when to keep their mouth shut. When I was prego with Lydia I got PLENTY of comments! And I'm sure this one won't be any different. I'm proud of you for keeping your cool. Not an easy thing to do!

Suzanne said...

Ha, ha, ha...oh, people think it's totally alright...i think it's totally weird. i literally had a woman gasp and grasp her chest like i was so unbelievably big it took her breath away. i was not in a school atmosphere so...well i won't repeat what i said.