Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm a Failure

When was the last time you took a written driver's test? Well for me, it has been ten years ago that my dad took Bryce and me to the DMV for that dreaded permit test. At that point in time, I had studied off a couple of old permit tests. Thankfully, I walked right in to the DMV, took the test, and passed with flying colors! What a great student! Well, the entire time I was in North Dakota, I kept my CA driver's license. However, I did get a Washington license a few years back, but mostly because I wanted to sport my new married name.

Why is any of this relevant? Well, this morning I had the exciting task of getting Brett new Idaho plates. I was having nightmares of long lines and was picturing the CA DMV. Boy was I astonished to find not a single person in line and about 10 tellers waiting to help me! That's what I call service! After getting Brett's plates in order, I inquired about a new driver's license. After all, a cop was nice enough to let me know I am only allowed 90 days from the date I became a resident to get this done. Thanks, officer! The gal at the counter was nice enough to let me know that I need my driver's license, proof of residency, and then I can take the test. Test? What test? A written test? Oh, crap! She told me I could go home and study. Well, being the wonderful driver I am, I knew that I could ace this bad boy with no problem. Do you see where this is going? Not only did I not pass (otherwise known as "failed"), the computer automatically shuts down after you miss too many. What a self-esteem booster! C'mon, who cares what an "open range" is anyway? Well, I can honestly admit that I failed. I am a failure. I could not pass a simple driver's test. Don't laugh, please. And, if you think I'm so dumb, try the practice test: http://www.dmv.org/dmv-practice-test.php?thestate=IDAHO%20&testtype=DRIVERS%20LICENSE&testname=nationwide.

Just wait until next week. I'm going to walk in there, pay my three dollars and pass that stinking test. Now, I'm just plain mad about it. I'll show them!

2 comments:

Kelli Higgins said...

Good luck Nichole! TJ and I are rooting for you! I have kept my Montana drivers license and am going to try to squeak by that 90 day thing and claim to be a temporary Michigan resident. I am hoping that I will never run into a nice police officer who will inform me that I need to make the switch. Hopefully we can just slide back to Montana next summer without anyone ever noticing!

Kelli Higgins said...

Nichole-
Kim and I were chatting this afternoon and are wondering if you passed your test. The suspense is killing us!
Kelli and Kim