Saturday, October 10, 2009

Amazing Grace

Bear with me this evening, while I get my feelings out on our blog even though I have a journal upstairs. :o) It was a little bit of a hectic day - watched Brett play frisbee, went to the mall, found out someone used our gift card fraudulently, and went to a wedding reception. To say Mia was overstimulated would be an understatment. We tried feeding her at 10pm, her normal time, but she was clearly not interested. In fact, she didn't even appear tired. I took her downstairs for a change of scenery because her room was darker and quieter. I'm not much of a singer, but began singing her personalized songs to see if it would help. For some reason though, "Amazing Grace" started coming out. At some point, I realized that not only can I not sing the song very well, but I don't know all the words. Nonetheless, I continued to sing my baby girl to sleep. Much to my surprise, as we rocked in the chair, she easily drifted off to sleep.

At some point in the middle of my singing/humming of "Amazing Grace," I began to tear up. It was such a precious moment to share with Mia, even if she never remembers it. Even more so, I realized that today is the day my uncle Don passed away eleven years ago. At his funeral, a friend of his played and sung "Amazing Grace." I'll never forget that moment. Not only that, I'll never forget all the amazing memories I have of him, like: Going to my first and only horse race at Hollywood Park on Palm Sunday, countless trips to the beach in Carpinteria, the necklace and socks he gave me for Christmas one year, and of course, the way he always called and sung Happy Birthday each year.

What was a truly hectic day complete with Puckett acting like a monster, ended in a sweet, sweet way. (No, I didn't mean for that to rhyme.) There are days like today when I know that God is truly watching out for me.

No comments: